Career Development: Necessary Skills
|Career : Career Development|
The most important skills to develop most careers are not actually downright technical and related to the actual job you are doing (particularly in modern office based jobs).
Rather they are more generic:
- the ability to get on well with others
- a capacity for change without grumbling (maybe not as strong as 'embracing change' - that's just for HR people)
- ability to work through uncertainty
- good time management, and working to deadlines
- clear and calm communicator
- excellent team working ability
- general adaptability
If you possess all of these skills, then the truth is that you can fit into and do most jobs. Sure you need to learn the knowledge specific to that job, but they just employ the same skills on a different knowledge set. Therefore the skills are more important than the knowledge.
Questions about careers: